Monday, June 15, 2015

A Brief Break From Random Mecha Posts

I recently became aware of the game series Puyo Puyo, a Tetris-style puzzle game which has been reskinned multiple times into other franchises for English distribution (as part of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, it became known as Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, which with my recent acquisition of a retro console is how I learned of it, and it also has seen a reskin as a Kirby game).

Unlike most such games, it's generally treated as fundamentally two-player, which led to this rather impressive and ridiculous... well, it's something of a volleyball/tennis game. (It's also almost certainly a tool-assisted speedrun, so it's a feat that is highly unlikely to happen normally.)



Because, you see, Puyo Puyo drops stuff on you when your opponent combos well, and apparently this version of it allows for this sort of tennis match effect.

I'll admit to preferring the Mean Bean Machine music and sound effects, because the music is pretty great...



...and also, while I admit I actually find the "combo shouts" funny rather than annoying even though everything about them would usually annoy me (I'm seriously having to work not to giggle right now as I listen to that first video), I don't think I'd be able to play with them going, and Mean Bean Machine took them out.

Also, I have to admit I rather like the ridiculous cartoon robots the localization came up with...



...as long as they're not making their smug "I'm winning faces," anyway. Which admittedly is a lot of the time when I'm playing.


-Signing off.

No comments: