Monday, June 14, 2010

The Future of Mass Transit? I Hope Not.

I read a fair number of magazines, and have for a long time. In fact, I've read magazines for so long that, about the same time I graduated from high school, I started receiving offers of membership for the AARP. No joke.

My first magazine was National Geographic, followed by Popular Mechanics, then by back issues of Popular Science which then led to a subscription. (I also receive Smithsonian. I used to get a few other science magazines, but those generally annoyed me.)

Popular Science was a more enjoyable magazine in the late '90s than it is now, partly because editorial fiat has pushed it ever further into environmentalism, which I'm tired of seeing covered in the regular media, thank you. (Nothing against environmentalism, but I think people overdo it. And that's the deepest I'm willing to go into politics on this blog, because it's supposed to be fun, dangit.)

Sometimes, in a well-meaning way, no doubt, they manage to totally flub in other ways.

Do you see that concept art? DO YOU SEE IT?

Here it is again-look at that blimp, and those other aircraft.

They have people hanging in pods on what look like lines, and are certainly long and probably flexible. (The other things are some kind of "jet" pods, which don't look too much safer.)

How in the blue... er, heck... is that a good idea? If even a stiff breeze comes along...

My sister has remarked that scientists (and artists working for scientists) often don't seem to know what ergonomics are-ironic, of course, since some scientist presumably invented ergonomics.

I just look at that and shudder, and hope that if that's actually a serious project that somebody beats some sense into them before it gets to the phase where it could kill people.

No comments: