Monday, May 2, 2016

They Had a Whole Island Disappeared (Not Really)

(My sister has a Patreon now. I will point out that we are poor and this would benefit me, personally. Not to guilt you or anything.)

Amazing Wikipedia article sentence of the day:

"Explanations for [Bermeja's] apparent disappearance include an erroneous observation by the early cartographers, shifts in the geography of the ocean floor, rising sea levels and conspiracy theories claiming that the CIA destroyed the island to expand the economic zone allotted to the United States."

Considering that there were apparently reports of the island's disappearance dating to over one hundred years before the CIA actually existed, that last one seems even a little more unlikely than usual.

(Also is it just me or does the CIA attract more conspiracy theories than other organizations of its type? I mean, I don't have numbers or anything, I just have a vague impression that this is the case.)

-Signing off.

No comments: