Monday, February 14, 2011

Tough Guy Jokes

Over the weekend, my sister read the novel The Way of Kings, which I reviewed late last year. Note that she flouted my advice in the linked review, which basically said "don't try to read it all at once, because you won't have time to do anything else." She read it (400,000+ words of story) in less than 36 hours. Basically, she didn't sleep.

Regardless, I was happy that she finished it, because it meant that I would be able to talk with someone about it and not be worried about the spoilers. (And let me tell you, when she was in the process of reading and asked a question that had the potential to be a spoiler, it was really hard to give her a good answer.)

And even before she had completely finished, we started talking about one of the characters, Kaladin Stormblessed. Here, I'll go briefly into mildly spoilery territory, so watch out if you haven't read the book (you should).

Kaladin Stormblessed is really tough. He did several things in the book that were incredible feats of fighting prowess. (And that's all I'm willing to say-go here if you want any real spoilers.)

And sis decided that he was absolutely her favorite character. "He's tougher than Chuck Norris," she proclaimed simply.

I responded "When Chuck Norris hears Kaladin Stormblessed's coming to town, he goes on vacation." (Okay, not precisely, but that's the gist of it.)

She said "Even Batman doesn't mess with Kaladin Stormblessed." (She doesn't subscribe to the idea that Chuck Norris would kill Batman, and for that matter, neither do I; but that's neither here nor there.)

And then we laughed about the idea of Kaladin Stormblessed jokes. Then we went to bed, because it happened to be really late.

And that's pretty much all I have to say on that.

-Signing off.

No comments: