Thursday, July 10, 2008

Nature Is Awesome


Although this particular picture is rather lacking in the awesome department.

The other day, I noticed this scene above a bedroom door. Since there's no way in heck you can tell what's actually happening, I'll explain: The little speck is a spider. The bigger speck with all the junk around it is a daddy longlegs. The spider, despite being smaller than the daddy longlegs (even ignoring the giant legs of the longlegs), has totally killed that daddy longlegs, and has sucked out a significant proportion of his bodily fluids.

I'm glad spiders are such little suckers. There's no way we could take 'em in a fight if they weren't.

In a mostly unrelated story, a couple of days after I took this picture (yesterday, actually), I was cleaning off our front porch, which has a mere eighteen square feet or so of surface, and saw somewhere between thirty and fifty spiders of numerous varieties crawling about, scattering as I used a broom to sweep away their webs. Thankfully, none of them were even half an inch long, and even as I watched, one of the cats who hangs out around our house because we feed them ate one.

Spiders are scary, but they're good eats, too.

No comments: