Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Greatly Belated Book Review: Spectacular Spider-Man Essential Volume One

I noted a while back that I had recently acquired an Essential volume for the Spectacular Spider-Man comic book.

I can happily recommend the book to fans of Spider-Man, if for only one reason (though there are ultimately others): It's got a lot of characters who are pretty obscure in it.

There's El Tigre Blanco, the Lightmaster, Razorback, "the Big M," the Tarantula, Carrion, and the Spider Amoeba. And I'm pretty sure there were some other guys in there that I'd never heard of (and that's saying something).

And you know what? I liked the obscure guys. They gave things a bit of flavor, a sense of newness and a lack of the eternal repetition that the various iterations of superheroes fall into.

I want to see a Spider-Man cartoon with these guys instead of Doc Ock, the Rhino, Mysterio, Electro, the Lizard, the Vulture, etc. etc. etc. forever yet again. Not to knock the preexisting Spider-Man cartoons or anything-I enjoyed them-but they tend to recycle a little too much.

Gimme some new old stuff, not the old old stuff.

-Signing off.

No comments: