Thursday, June 16, 2011

Super Robot Profiles: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

I am so frikkin' high on Gurren Lagann right now. Because I just finished watching it maybe ten or fifteen minutes ago.

What am I saying?

Well, Gurren Lagann (complete English dub release available for free on YouTube!) is one of the most popular anime of the last decade (and of all time, really), and for good reason: It is awesome.

(If you haven't seen it, don't Google it or read any other sites for it. Just go watch it.)

I'm not going to spoil it for you, but I'll try to use more than simple "LOL EPIC" to bring across just what this series is.

Gurren Lagann is a series where symbolism is more important than physics; where determination trumps probabilities; where emotion means more than literal events. In other words, first and foremost, it's a story about fictional people.

And it never pretends that it isn't.

On the other hand, it's a series where events have real consequences. Gurren Lagann never steps back or retcons away events; it unabashedly goes into what happens next, always pushing forward.

Because that is the way a drill works.

The series is both funny and deadly serious. This is not a contradiction, although it gets more serious and less funny as it continues.

The characters are enormous hams, and this is not a bad thing. (More questionable is the often distracting fanservice, which I don't especially care for [it's not very attractive a lot of the time, although sometimes I admit I laughed at the audacity of it], but you take the bad with the good with a series like this.)

Really, to say more than that is to say too much, but it's still not enough. I'm not even sure what else to say.

-Signing off.

No comments: