Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Wikis: My Own Personal Hobby

I like wikis a lot. How much? I have fifteen wikis in my favorites list. Some of them are for things I'm only marginally interested in (Star Trek, for instance). I like wikis that much.

There are "weak" wikis, whose low staff results in every single article they contain having cleanup tags (see the GaoGaiGar-Betterman wiki for an example of this). Some wikis just fall short of their potential (see the ReBoot wiki-it's got typos galore). Some are horribly formatted. (Last time I checked, the Digimon wiki [yes, I've read the Digimon wiki-shut it up, you] had horrible gigantic lists as pages that not only took forever to load but froze up windows just from attempts to scroll for five to ten minutes at a time on a brand new computer.)

Then there are the wikis that are legitimately good. The One Piece wiki is very well put together, for instance.

Then, there is the king of wikis, the alpha and omega: Teletraan I: The Transformers Wiki. Why is this wiki so great? Because it looks at its own fandom and content in a critical, clever, and humorous way, and is still highly objective and informative.

As for why I like wikis in general: The random button. I love random buttons. I'll even go to freaking Wikipedia and hit the random button. (You'd be surprised how often I found something good that way.)

No comments: